With more than 1 million devices sold since its release in June 2013, Google Chromecast was released with a promise to be the simplest way to stream content from your phone, tablet, or computer to your TV. Since its release, Chromecast has become a favorite of tech enthusiasts, and a primary tool to deliver entertainment to multiple screens in the home.
So, you have a Chromecast. You love it. You use it, it works great. But now you have a newer version Chromecast. You want it to work with the new version, but it doesn’t. No matter what you do, it just doesn’t detect the new version. The old update options just don’t work. But wait, there’s a new update on the way, in an hour. Won’t it work if you just update a little bit of the software? No. It still won’t work. You have to update the entire software – and the old update methods don’t work.
The Chromecast and Chromecast Audio are often cited as the best way to enjoy your favorite music and videos from mobile devices or your Google Cast enabled smart TV. These devices are inexpensive and easy to set up, but can be difficult to update if you have an older device. Here are some tips on how to update Chromecast and Chromecast Audio to the latest version.
If you’re searching for instructions on how to update Chromecast, you’ve come to the correct spot. Read this whole post if you want to learn more about how to update Chromecast devices.
This article contains the following content:
What Is Chromecast and How Does It Work?
Chromecast is a gadget that is completely reliant on the internet. Furthermore, you must update performance and updates on a regular basis to ensure that it runs quickly. The most challenging aspect of this is that updating the Chromecast takes a long time and is entirely dependent on the technique you use.
Chromecast Sneak Peek
The most essential thing to know is that the Chromecast may update automatically, which means manually, depending on the internet connection and speed. So, check to see if there are any updates available, which you may do by going to Google’s Chromecast website.
Why Should We Update Chromecast?
Every small mistake in the Chromecast may be fully eliminated by upgrading the device, which not only enhances the system efficiency and life span of the device but also makes it more suitable to operate.
What Is The Best Way To Update Chromecast?
We may utilize the two finest ways for upgrading Chromecast in this situation. These are listed farther down.
- Chromecast will be updated automatically.
- Chromecast has been forced to upgrade.
Let’s start with the first one, which is how to update Chromecast automatically.
Method 1: Using the Google Home App to Automatically Update The Chrome Cast:
To manually update the Chromecast using the Google Home app, follow the procedures outlined below.
- The first step is to go to Google’s Chromecast support website and see whether a newer version of Chromecast is available for your device.
- If you still can’t find anything, download the Google Home app for your iOS or Android smartphone.
The Google Home App Must Be Installed
- Check to see whether your Chromecast is set up to receive the cast signal.
Are You Prepared To Receive The Cast Signal?
- Also, make sure your smartphone and Chromecast are both connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Now open your smartphone and look for your Chromecast device; after you’ve located it, tap the symbol.Turning On The Chromecast
- Then, to access the device settings, select the gear symbol.
- Now scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to see what firmware version it’s running.
- Compare your current firmware version to Google’s home page’s most recent version. If it’s more sophisticated than your current version, make sure you upgrade it to the most recent firmware.
You don’t need to update anything if your current firmware version is the same as Google’s home page version.
- If you wish to perform an automated update, make sure you keep in touch with the Chromecast device through the device settings page.
- On the device settings page, you can see three dots at the right top corner>click on it.
- After you click that, a pop-up window will open with several choices. To restart the Chromecast device, go to that menu and choose reboot.
- It takes some time for the whole device to restart, during which time it attempts to install/download the most recent version available.
Obtaining The New Version
- If there is any new firmware available, it will be shown on the TV you are connected to.
- After you’ve finished installing the newest version, you may use your Chromecast device as usual.
- You may, however, repeat the preceding procedures to see whether your Chromecast device is running the most recent version.
- After all of this, you can be certain that Chromecast will be updated automatically.
Method 2: Forcing The Chrome Cast To Update:
This technique may be utilized if a newer version of Chromecast is available but your device has not been upgraded to it. Then you may force your Chromecast to upgrade to the most recent firmware version.
Please read the instructions below carefully to learn how to forcibly upgrade your Chromecast to the newest version.
Chromecast Update Forced On Mac And Linux:
To upgrade your Chromecast to the newest version on Mac and Linux, carefully follow the instructions outlined below.
- The first step is to go to your Google Chromecast support website and see if there is a newer version available. We should upgrade to the most recent version if one is available.
- Check to see whether your Chromecast is turned on and ready to receive the cast signal.
- Check to see whether your Google home page is installed on your iOS or Android device, and that both devices are connected to the same network.
Examine Your Wi-Fi Connection
- Now go to the Chromecast home page and check for a newer version of Chromecast.
- After that, navigate to the settings option and ensure that the newest firmware update IP address is saved. -d ‘“params”: “otaforeground”’ Curl -X POST -H “Content-Type: application/json” reboot -v http://[IP ADDRESS]8008/setup
Keep track of your IP address.
- Now that the most recent version is available and the device is linked to the same network, turn it on and attempt to force an update on your Mac or Linux PC.
- After that, open the terminal program on your Mac or Linux PC and enter your Chromecast’s stored latest version update.
- Now hit enter, and the terminal will check for the newest version, and the Chromecast device will be instructed to upgrade to the latest version.
- You will be presented with “process finished” after completing this procedure. Your Chromecast is now updated to the most recent version.
Chromecast Update Forced On Windows:
To upgrade your Chromecast to the most recent version available on Windows, carefully follow the instructions below.
- When upgrading the Chromecast to the newest version available, be sure to complete steps 1 through 6 (see Method -1).
- Check to see whether your Chromecast device and your Windows are on the same network; if they aren’t, make sure they are.
- Then look for the Windows Power Shell and double-click it to open it.
- Make careful to paste the IP address of your most recent version into the windows power shell and press enter. Invoke -Method -WebRequest -ContentType “application / json” Post -ContentType “application / json” -Body’s “params”: “OTA foreground”‘ -Uri “http://[IP ADDRESS]: 8008/ setup /reboot” -UserAgent ” curl “ -Verbose
A Sneak Peek At Windows Powershell
- The Chromecast is now forced to upgrade to the most recent version available by the Windows Power Shell.
- Go to Google’s home page and check your current version to see whether your Chromecast is compatible with the newest version.
- That is all there is to it. The process of updating your Chromecast to the most recent version is now complete.
Why isn’t my Chromecast updating?
In most cases, the Chromecast updates itself without problem. However, if you have any issues upgrading, be sure to verify these before downloading the latest version.
- Restart your Chromecast device if it hasn’t done so before.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi connection is working.
- Restart your computer or smartphone.
- Your Chrome browser needs to be updated.
- Your Chromecast should be reset to factory defaults.
- Chromecast has gone dark.
When the Chromecast update issue occurs when upgrading, be sure to check if the LED light on the Chromecast device is on or off. If this does not work, reboot your Chromecast device and wait 10 minutes for the procedure to finish.
The following are the most recent updates to Chromecast:
The following are some of the most recent enhancements made in upgrading your Chromecast device.
- Advanced video control options, such as refresh rate and control formats, are available.
- HDMI hotplug aids in the detection of the Chromecast’s optimal TV settings.
- Improvements in 5 GHz Wi-Fi and Mesh networks
- In certain applications, Bluetooth audio has been improved.
- There are the most recent security updates available.
- HDMI-CEC may now be used to switch the TV’s settings on and off.
You can also update your Chromecast device by using Google TV. What you have to do is to go to Google’s home page> settings> about >system update. Now you can see your status on Google TV whether it is updated to the latest version.
- What is Chromecast’s most recent version?
The most recent version of Chromecast is Chromecast 3rd Gen. 1.44.185164 is the most recent firmware version (for Chromecast Ultra).
- Is it necessary to update my Chromecast on a regular basis?
Yes, Chromecast, like any other device, has to be updated whenever a new version is released.
- How can I find out what version of Chromecast firmware I have?
Using Google’s home page on your iOS or Android smartphone, you can quickly check the firmware version of your Chromecast.
By upgrading the Chromecast, even small faults in the device may be significantly minimized, and system performance and life span can both be improved. This article explains how to update your Chromecast on a PC or a Mac/Linux computer. Choose any of the techniques that are basic and quick to update, and be sure to follow the instructions exactly as they are written.
Thank you for selecting OMGEEKY.
My name is Nadhiya, and I work at OMGeeky as an editor and author. I like writing tech-related articles to assist my users. Apart from that, I like traveling, cooking, painting, singing, dancing, sharing knowledge, patience, a small group of friends, a happy soul, kindness, assisting the poor, being a shopaholic, and being a homely person.
If you are looking for a simple way to update your Chromecast, this tutorial is for you. Chromecast is one of the best devices of 2018 and it is much easier to update than other devices.. Read more about chromecast update 2022 and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I force Chromecast to update?
The best way to force Chromecast to update is to unplug it and plug it back in.
Why is Chromecast not updating?
The Chromecast is not updating because it has been turned off.
Does Google Chromecast auto update?
Yes, Google Chromecast automatically updates.